Weyerhaeuser, Nippon Efficiency Project Aims to Save 100 Million kWh Yearly
Weyerhaeuser, Nippon Paper Industries, Cowlitz County Public Utility District, and the Bonneville Power Administration have launched the largest industrial energy efficiency project in BPA history and one of the largest energy efficiency projects in the United States to date, at a North Pacific Paper Corporation facility.
The $60 million project, referred to as a “Chip Pre-Treatment Interstage Screen Project,” adds two new components to the Norpac facility. The first is chip pretreatment equipment that treats wood chips with steam and chemicals prior to refining the chips into pulp, resulting in reduced pulp bleaching and brightening costs. Secondly, the project has added an inter-stage screening process that reduces the amount of wood chips going through two stages of energy-intensive refining, again reducing energy use.
When complete, the project is expected to save 100 million kWh per year. The first phase of the project was completed in June 2011 and the second and final phase is expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2013.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- The Value of Integrating Health, Safety and Environment Processes with Enterprise Asset Management
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room