Weyerhaeuser, Nippon Efficiency Project Aims to Save 100 Million kWh Yearly
Weyerhaeuser, Nippon Paper Industries, Cowlitz County Public Utility District, and the Bonneville Power Administration have launched the largest industrial energy efficiency project in BPA history and one of the largest energy efficiency projects in the United States to date, at a North Pacific Paper Corporation facility.
The $60 million project, referred to as a “Chip Pre-Treatment Interstage Screen Project,” adds two new components to the Norpac facility. The first is chip pretreatment equipment that treats wood chips with steam and chemicals prior to refining the chips into pulp, resulting in reduced pulp bleaching and brightening costs. Secondly, the project has added an inter-stage screening process that reduces the amount of wood chips going through two stages of energy-intensive refining, again reducing energy use.
When complete, the project is expected to save 100 million kWh per year. The first phase of the project was completed in June 2011 and the second and final phase is expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2013.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Combined Heat and Power
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management