What Do Solar Airplanes and Solar Elevators Have in Common?
The solar-powered airplane Solar Impulse completed its cross-country flight across the US Sunday, and now engineers may use some lessons learned to improve solar elevators.
Solar Impulse flew from the West to the East Coast without a single drop of traditional fuel. The journey showed that reducing weight is a major factor in solar energy efficiency, both for airplanes as well as elevators, according to the head of Schindler Elevator.
Schindler had engineers embedded in the Solar Impulse project both to contribute knowledge about renewable technology and also to draw lessons that can be used to make elevator and escalator operations more energy efficient, said Frank Resch, head of research and development at Schindler Elevator, on the Platts Energy Week TV show. Resch said his engineers are learning about the solar cells used in the Solar Impulse airplane, the power management systems, including the batteries, and the lightweight construction.
Schindler has one solar-powered elevator operating in Barcelona, Spain, that draws about 60 percent of the energy it needs from renewable sources. The system includes solar panels on the roof of the building, an energy storage system and a power manager that determines whether to use energy stores in batteries from the solar cells or draw power from the local utility grid. The system, which is currently designed to be used in about a 10-story building, will go on wider sale in Europe in 2014 with a later expansion planned for the US market.
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement