What Do Solar Airplanes and Solar Elevators Have in Common?
The solar-powered airplane Solar Impulse completed its cross-country flight across the US Sunday, and now engineers may use some lessons learned to improve solar elevators.
Solar Impulse flew from the West to the East Coast without a single drop of traditional fuel. The journey showed that reducing weight is a major factor in solar energy efficiency, both for airplanes as well as elevators, according to the head of Schindler Elevator.
Schindler had engineers embedded in the Solar Impulse project both to contribute knowledge about renewable technology and also to draw lessons that can be used to make elevator and escalator operations more energy efficient, said Frank Resch, head of research and development at Schindler Elevator, on the Platts Energy Week TV show. Resch said his engineers are learning about the solar cells used in the Solar Impulse airplane, the power management systems, including the batteries, and the lightweight construction.
Schindler has one solar-powered elevator operating in Barcelona, Spain, that draws about 60 percent of the energy it needs from renewable sources. The system includes solar panels on the roof of the building, an energy storage system and a power manager that determines whether to use energy stores in batteries from the solar cells or draw power from the local utility grid. The system, which is currently designed to be used in about a 10-story building, will go on wider sale in Europe in 2014 with a later expansion planned for the US market.
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing