Winter Cold Affects Natural Gas Prices Through 2014, Says ICF
This winter’s weather demonstrated the continuing importance of weather as a near-term driver of natural gas prices, according to Consulting firm ICF International, which has released its ICForecast Energy Outlook for the second quarter of 2014.
The study finds the impacts of winter 2014 are likely to persist through the remainder of the year. The report projects gas prices based on the assumption of “normal” (20-year average) weather.
Natural gas-fired units will fill the gap caused by the coal-fired generation retirements as well as meeting incremental demand growth going forward. Over the next 25 years, natural gas-fired units will increasingly move into the base load across most markets in the US.
Going forward, as gas increasingly sets the margin over all hours, even in historically coal-dominant regions such as the Midwest and Southeast, energy prices will firm, and implied heat rate spreads across the nation will tighten. A continued rise in gas use for electric generation, will place significant upward pressure on gas prices and increase the potential for price volatility through the end of the decade.
Energy Manager Today is hosting an energy procurement webinar, Wednesday, March 26, which will discuss the impacts of weather on energy purchasing.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- BuildingIQ Security
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement