Wireless Electricity Firm Joins A4WP
WiTricity, the holder of foundational patents for highly resonant wireless power transfer, joined the Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP) as a board member. WiTricity technology is part of the backbone of the A4WP’s new Rezence specification for wireless power transfer based on magnetic resonance.
WiTricity showcased its iPhone 5/5s wireless charging system (pictured) at the Consumer Electronics Show earlier this year, and that reference design will be immediately available to the A4WP group.
The WiTricity charging system for the iPhone 5/5s includes a wireless charging hub and a charging sleeve that fits the phone. The sleeve is powered when in proximity to the charging hub. The hub can be placed on top of a table or mounted underneath a table for charging through the surface. The WiTricity system charges electronic devices over distance and through a variety of materials, including wood, granite, plastic and glass.
A spokeswoman for the company said, “WiTricity technology is designed for ‘mid-range’ distances, which we consider to be anywhere from a centimeter to several meters.”
In joining the A4WP, WiTricity says it brings an openness to license its technology for use with the Rezence specification so that the Rezence specification can be widely adopted and deployed across an ever-widening range of applications.
Since its founding in 2007, WiTricity has secured $45 Million in funding from major global companies, including Intel, Foxconn/Hon Hai, Toyota, Schlumberger and Haier. In addition, a number of companies have licensed WiTricity’s technology including Toyota; electronics company Foxconn; semiconductor firm MediaTek; and medical devices firm Thoratec.
Finding a place to re-charge electronic devices is becoming more of a challenge for consumers all the time. Last year, AT&T erected 25 solar-powered charging stations in outdoor spaces through New York City’s five boroughs as part of a pilot project.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement