Wireless Sensors Boost Smart Building Popularity
Jones Lang LaSalle’s latest report, The Changing Face of Smart Buildings: The Op-Ex Advantage, finds that affordable new technologies are driving smart building progress. Recent significant price reductions in cloud computing-based building management technologies have made these systems affordable.
Wireless sensors used in smart buildings can transmit data from smart systems in hundreds of buildings to far-flung remote cloud-computing platforms where advanced analytics can turn data into actionable intelligence to improve building performance.
The report calls out Fraunhofer’s Center for Sustainable Energy building in Boston that houses Fraunhofer’s building science research facilities, designed to consume half the energy of a comparable structure. In the lobby, an iPad-driven display shows the building’s internal smart building technology at work, with digital read-outs showing real-time energy gains in lighting, cooling and heating, water use and energy generation. It’s a simple but powerful idea that potentially could be applied in every smart building lobby, says the report.
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement