World’s Largest CSP Plant Goes Live
Energy Secretary Moniz dedicated the Ivanpah Solar Energy Generating System, the world’s largest concentrating solar power (CSP) plant. As the first commercial deployment of innovative power tower CSP technology in the United States, the Ivanpah project was the recipient of a $1.6 billion loan guarantee from the Department’s Loan Programs Office.
Ivanpah has the capacity to generate 392 MW, most of which will be sold under long-term power purchase agreements to Pacific Gas & Electric and Southern California Edison Company. The project is a joint effort by NRG, Google, and BrightSource Energy, and Bechtel served as the engineering, procurement, and construction contractor.
Ivanpah is one of five CSP projects that received loan guarantees from the Department, and when these projects are completed, they will provide a combined 1.26 GW of electric capacity. These loan guarantees are also helping to finance the first solar thermal storage project and the first power tower with solar thermal storage in the US, as well as some of the world’s largest parabolic trough CSP plants.
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Let's Do The Math for DR