Xtreme Power Unveils 1MW Li-ion Storage System
Power management products firm Xtreme Power has unveiled its new 1MW lithium ion-based battery energy storage system for Texas’ Center for the Commercialization of Electric Technologies.
The CCET system in Lubbock, Texas, is owned and operated by a consortium including educational institutions such as Texas Tech University, the Southern Plains Electric Cooperative and Group NIRE, and will be used to demonstrate energy storage applications including renewables integration and grid support services.
Potential uses for the system include mitigating intermittent fluctuations of a number of nearby wind turbines, regulating the distribution bus voltage, serving as spinning reserve, and providing frequency support during the loss of generation, Xtreme Power says. Xtreme Power hopes the system will help pave the way for enhanced grid flexibility, showcasing how energy storage helps more renewables come online.
The CCET project marks the first time Xtreme Power’s PEAK Series system has used lithium ion batteries from Samsung SDI – building on a partnership that began early this year.
The project is included in a US Department of Energy smart grid demonstration aimed at analyzing the benefits of using energy storage for wind energy integration. The project was announced in February.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, CCET is a non-profit that facilitates electric industry, technology company and university collaboration for the purpose of enhancing the Texas electric transmission and distribution system through research, development and commercialization of emerging technologies.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year