Xtreme Power Unveils 1MW Li-ion Storage System
Power management products firm Xtreme Power has unveiled its new 1MW lithium ion-based battery energy storage system for Texas’ Center for the Commercialization of Electric Technologies.
The CCET system in Lubbock, Texas, is owned and operated by a consortium including educational institutions such as Texas Tech University, the Southern Plains Electric Cooperative and Group NIRE, and will be used to demonstrate energy storage applications including renewables integration and grid support services.
Potential uses for the system include mitigating intermittent fluctuations of a number of nearby wind turbines, regulating the distribution bus voltage, serving as spinning reserve, and providing frequency support during the loss of generation, Xtreme Power says. Xtreme Power hopes the system will help pave the way for enhanced grid flexibility, showcasing how energy storage helps more renewables come online.
The CCET project marks the first time Xtreme Power’s PEAK Series system has used lithium ion batteries from Samsung SDI – building on a partnership that began early this year.
The project is included in a US Department of Energy smart grid demonstration aimed at analyzing the benefits of using energy storage for wind energy integration. The project was announced in February.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, CCET is a non-profit that facilitates electric industry, technology company and university collaboration for the purpose of enhancing the Texas electric transmission and distribution system through research, development and commercialization of emerging technologies.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Combined Heat and Power
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management