Xtreme Power Unveils 1MW Li-ion Storage System
Power management products firm Xtreme Power has unveiled its new 1MW lithium ion-based battery energy storage system for Texas’ Center for the Commercialization of Electric Technologies.
The CCET system in Lubbock, Texas, is owned and operated by a consortium including educational institutions such as Texas Tech University, the Southern Plains Electric Cooperative and Group NIRE, and will be used to demonstrate energy storage applications including renewables integration and grid support services.
Potential uses for the system include mitigating intermittent fluctuations of a number of nearby wind turbines, regulating the distribution bus voltage, serving as spinning reserve, and providing frequency support during the loss of generation, Xtreme Power says. Xtreme Power hopes the system will help pave the way for enhanced grid flexibility, showcasing how energy storage helps more renewables come online.
The CCET project marks the first time Xtreme Power’s PEAK Series system has used lithium ion batteries from Samsung SDI – building on a partnership that began early this year.
The project is included in a US Department of Energy smart grid demonstration aimed at analyzing the benefits of using energy storage for wind energy integration. The project was announced in February.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, CCET is a non-profit that facilitates electric industry, technology company and university collaboration for the purpose of enhancing the Texas electric transmission and distribution system through research, development and commercialization of emerging technologies.
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- The Top 5 Things You Should Know about Big Energy Data
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement