YMCA Switches to LED Lighting, Saves 78% on Electric Bill
The 65,000-sq-foot Bedford-Stuyvesant YMCA in the greater New York City area hired Bright Energy Services to upgrade its lighting in the pool and surrounding area, which is situated in the lower level and receives minimal natural daylight.
Bright Energy Services performed a lighting audit and presented an energy analysis and a financial analysis that recommended replacing the existing fluorescent, high-pressure sodium, and incandescent lamps with LED lamps. The retrofit resulted in yearly savings of about 50,000 kWh, equating to a 78 percent cost savings of $10,100.
Aleddra LED Lighting supplied EasiRetrofit LED T8 lamps for the project. The LED linear light tube uses 50 percent of the energy of the existing lamps while meeting the most current UL standards. The 14 high-pressure sodium lamp fixtures, which were 480 watts each, were changed to 1X8 LED lamp fixtures, which are 102 watts each. Three wall-mounted 180 watt wall pack fixtures were changed to 50 watt LED wall pack fixtures. The fluorescent T8 77 watt fixtures and the fluorescent T12 96 watt fixtures were changed to LED 68 watt LED fixtures.
Bright Energy says other financial benefits of moving to LEDs include: LEDs burn cooler, so the heat load is reduced, also reducing cooling costs; LEDs do not use ballasts, so ballast replacement costs (ballast and labor) now become zero.; Life expectancy of LEDs is 5-10 years, so replacement product and labor costs are also reduced.
Because of the significant kWh savings, Bright Energy Services applied to Con Edison and NYSERDA for an energy efficiency rebate, which is expected to come in at about $6,000. With the rebate and energy savings, the payback period is just over one year.
Bright Energy Services, a division of All HVAC Company, also upgraded the lighting at the McBurney YMCA facility last year, and is currently in the process of retrofitting six more branches around New York City.
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management