Yosemite Fires Point Out Energy Strain in California
California Governor Jerry Brown proclaimed a State of Emergency related to the wildfires burning near Yosemite, and said the fires “have caused damage to electrical infrastructure serving the City and County of San Francisco and now threaten damage to property, equipment, and resources of the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission.
The proclamation also says the San Francisco PUC has been forced to shut down transmission lines because of the fires and San Francisco is likely to be further affected, including the possible temporary interruption of electricity and/or water delivery.
The threat to Hetch Hetchy hydroelectric power stations highlights the fact that California’s electric grid is stretched a bit thin, reports the Christian Science Monitor.
Earlier this year, the San Onofre nuclear power station near Los Angeles was permanently shuttered.
Pacific Gas and Electric serves much of San Francisco, but 400 MW of hydroelectric power comes from the Hetch Hetchy Power System in Yosemite, providing service to vital infrastructure such as San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco General Hospital, police, fire and other government entities, says the Christian Science Monitor.
The magazine points out that while electrical transmission and distribution lines are often an eyesore in otherwise pristine natural areas, they are crucial to cities such as San Francisco. Because the transmission lines cross vast wooded areas, they are especially vulnerable to wildfires.
Photo credit: akasped’s Flickr photostream
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Combined Heat and Power
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management