Yosemite Fires Point Out Energy Strain in California
California Governor Jerry Brown proclaimed a State of Emergency related to the wildfires burning near Yosemite, and said the fires “have caused damage to electrical infrastructure serving the City and County of San Francisco and now threaten damage to property, equipment, and resources of the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission.
The proclamation also says the San Francisco PUC has been forced to shut down transmission lines because of the fires and San Francisco is likely to be further affected, including the possible temporary interruption of electricity and/or water delivery.
The threat to Hetch Hetchy hydroelectric power stations highlights the fact that California’s electric grid is stretched a bit thin, reports the Christian Science Monitor.
Earlier this year, the San Onofre nuclear power station near Los Angeles was permanently shuttered.
Pacific Gas and Electric serves much of San Francisco, but 400 MW of hydroelectric power comes from the Hetch Hetchy Power System in Yosemite, providing service to vital infrastructure such as San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco General Hospital, police, fire and other government entities, says the Christian Science Monitor.
The magazine points out that while electrical transmission and distribution lines are often an eyesore in otherwise pristine natural areas, they are crucial to cities such as San Francisco. Because the transmission lines cross vast wooded areas, they are especially vulnerable to wildfires.
Photo credit: akasped’s Flickr photostream
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- The Top 5 Things You Should Know about Big Energy Data
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement