Zero Net Energy Center Houses Energy Training
The Zero Net Energy Center in San Leandro, Calif., opened yesterday, and its owners say the commercial building retrofit meets the US Department of Energy’s requirements for a “zero net energy” building.
The National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA) and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) retrofitted the 46,000-sq-foot structure as an educational facility for 2,000 electrical workers that will participate in a program run by IBEW Local 595 and the Northern California Chapter of NECA.
The energy efficiency statistics for the retrofit include:
- 50 percent lighting energy reduction through daylighting, occupancy sensors, LEDs and solar tubes
- 80 percent HVAC energy reduction
- 90 percent computer energy reduction by upgrading equipment to Energy Star
- 75 percent reduction in energy use compared to similar US buildings
- 29 percent energy use reduction compared to new commercial construction in California.
Building features that are used to make the center net zero are also incorporated into the curriculum at the center where students will study technologies in wind, solar, lighting and building automation systems.
In addition to DOE net-zero status, the center also exceeds the State of California’s 2030 energy efficiency effort by meeting the zero net goal 17 years in advance, and it also exceeds the energy conservation goals of the Obama administration’s Better Buildings Challenge.
Several new buildings have been constructed as net-zero facilities, but some have found it difficult to live up to the name.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Descriptive, Predictive, Prescriptive: Transforming Asset and Facilities Management with Analytics
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- ARC Brief: Infrastructure: The Hidden Optimization Opportunity
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing