Zigbee Completes Smart Energy Profile 2 Standard
The ZigBee Alliance, which creates wireless standards for use in energy management, commercial and consumer applications, has completed development and ratified the Smart Energy Profile 2 (SEP 2) standard.
SEP 2 provides IP-based information and control for energy management in Home Area Networks, for both wired and wireless networks. SEP 2 supports new capabilities such as control of plug-in and hybrid electric vehicle charging, deployments in multi-dwelling units such as apartment buildings, support for multiple energy service interfaces into a single premises and support for any transport based on IETF IP compliant protocols such as the recently announced ZigBee IP.
Work on SEP 2 was initiated in conjunction with the HomePlug Alliance and, over the course of its development, has included the active participation of many outside industry groups and stakeholders in addition to members of the ZigBee Alliance.
Now that the standard is done, the Alliance and its partners are working to complete the test plans and tools necessary to certify SEP 2 products. SEP 2 is supported by many stakeholders across the energy supply ecosystem, including manufacturers of smart meters, appliances, programmable thermostats and other devices in homes, utilities, energy service providers as well as various government and standards organizations around the world.
In 2012, the ZigBee Alliance announced the Green Power feature, which powers products such as switches and dimmers with available energy harvesting sources rather than using a battery or AC mains power.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- LED Myths and Facts
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Support Lean Manufacturing Principles with IBM Maximo Asset Management
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing