Zigbee Completes Smart Energy Profile 2 Standard
The ZigBee Alliance, which creates wireless standards for use in energy management, commercial and consumer applications, has completed development and ratified the Smart Energy Profile 2 (SEP 2) standard.
SEP 2 provides IP-based information and control for energy management in Home Area Networks, for both wired and wireless networks. SEP 2 supports new capabilities such as control of plug-in and hybrid electric vehicle charging, deployments in multi-dwelling units such as apartment buildings, support for multiple energy service interfaces into a single premises and support for any transport based on IETF IP compliant protocols such as the recently announced ZigBee IP.
Work on SEP 2 was initiated in conjunction with the HomePlug Alliance and, over the course of its development, has included the active participation of many outside industry groups and stakeholders in addition to members of the ZigBee Alliance.
Now that the standard is done, the Alliance and its partners are working to complete the test plans and tools necessary to certify SEP 2 products. SEP 2 is supported by many stakeholders across the energy supply ecosystem, including manufacturers of smart meters, appliances, programmable thermostats and other devices in homes, utilities, energy service providers as well as various government and standards organizations around the world.
In 2012, the ZigBee Alliance announced the Green Power feature, which powers products such as switches and dimmers with available energy harvesting sources rather than using a battery or AC mains power.
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Integrated Building Optimization
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement