Zigbee Completes Smart Energy Profile 2 Standard
The ZigBee Alliance, which creates wireless standards for use in energy management, commercial and consumer applications, has completed development and ratified the Smart Energy Profile 2 (SEP 2) standard.
SEP 2 provides IP-based information and control for energy management in Home Area Networks, for both wired and wireless networks. SEP 2 supports new capabilities such as control of plug-in and hybrid electric vehicle charging, deployments in multi-dwelling units such as apartment buildings, support for multiple energy service interfaces into a single premises and support for any transport based on IETF IP compliant protocols such as the recently announced ZigBee IP.
Work on SEP 2 was initiated in conjunction with the HomePlug Alliance and, over the course of its development, has included the active participation of many outside industry groups and stakeholders in addition to members of the ZigBee Alliance.
Now that the standard is done, the Alliance and its partners are working to complete the test plans and tools necessary to certify SEP 2 products. SEP 2 is supported by many stakeholders across the energy supply ecosystem, including manufacturers of smart meters, appliances, programmable thermostats and other devices in homes, utilities, energy service providers as well as various government and standards organizations around the world.
In 2012, the ZigBee Alliance announced the Green Power feature, which powers products such as switches and dimmers with available energy harvesting sources rather than using a battery or AC mains power.
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Managing Enterprise Assets and IT Assets in a Converged World
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems