The Green Parking Council (GPC) has announced the first seven parking facilities in the United States to achieve Green Garage Certification:
- Bank of America Plaza (Office), Brookfield, Los Angeles, California
- BG Group Place (Office), BG Holdco/Och Ziff Capital Management Group, Houston, Texas
- Canopy Airport Parking (Airport), Parking Acquisition Ventures, Denver, Colorado
- Charles Square Garage (Hotel), Charles Square Hotel, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Forest Home Garage (University), Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
- Silver Spring Metro Plaza (Office), Brookfield, Metro Washington, DC
- Westpark Corporate Center (Office) JLL (Property Manager), Metro Washington, DC
Launched in 2015, Green Garage Certification evaluates nearly 50 elements of parking facility sustainability, including operations that maximize performance while minimizing waste, programs that encourage mobility options and choice, and efficient and sustainable technology and structure design. Sustainable garages frequently employ energy-efficient lighting and ventilation systems, guidance systems that help drivers find parking faster, idle-reduction technologies, electric vehicle fueling stations, car sharing, bicycle parking and storm water management practices.
The Green Garage Standard encourages reduced energy usage through lighting, ventilation, controls and commissioning measures, which reduce operational costs in the range of 25 percent compared to the national average.
The certification was initiated partly in response to the decision by the US Green Building Council in 2012 that it would no longer certify parking structures under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program, Forbes reports.