Nate Kessman, Vice President of Great Eastern Energy in New York, posted an article on Facility Executive with five tips for energy managers (originally framed as five mistakes to avoid):
- Be a facility manager, not just an energy manager. – Think holistically about your energy strategy and the details of your energy supply contract.
- Benchmark your energy and water use. – Compare against your own past performance, and potentially against industry peers.
- Look at more than just price. – Also look at contract terms, usage restrictions, and supplier flexibility to avoid unexpected future expenses.
- Prioritize energy efficiency upgrades. – Start with measures with rapid payback and develop a roadmap for future investments.
- Solar can be a good investment. – Solar is a major up-front investment, but it can provide an attractive long-term payback and help to reduce your carbon footprint.
This may seem like simple advice, but carrying it out effectively can be challenging.