Green Mountain Power (GMP) and NRG Energy announced a partnership to deploy a series of new products and services for Vermont businesses and residents.
Beginning in early 2015, the partnership plans to bring clean energy products and services to Vermont. Central to the effort will be the development of an advanced distribution grid in Rutland. The two companies expect to transform the distribution grid from a 100-year-old electric delivery model to a market-based platform designed to create efficiencies and distributed energy solutions through renewable technologies and energy storage.
The project includes the following products and services:
- Beginning in 2015, GMP will offer Vermont customers a comprehensive personal energy management solution. Subscribing customers may be able to remotely manage energy consumption in their homes and participate in a demand response incentive program.
- GMP will offer NRG’s portable power solution, which allows customers to charge their smartphones with an NRG power pack.
- GMP will work with NRG’s eVgo division to develop and roll out a network of electric vehicle charging stations throughout the state, including several charging package options.
- In 2013, NRG Home Solar built a third-party financed community solar array in Rutland, which provides 50 residents and businesses a credit on their GMP bill for their portion of the energy produced by the array. Customers pay a small monthly fee and are covered by a power production guarantee. NRG is currently working on additional projects in Vermont as part of the partnership with GMP.
- GMP is working with NRG to offer micro generation solutions to Vermonters, including NRG’s Beacon 10. These units generate up to 10 kW of electricity, provide heat for water and space heating and offer battery storage and solar integration capability with onsite solar systems.
- Leveraging NRG’s microgrid capabilities, the two companies intend to transform the distribution grid system to a market-based platform designed to create efficiencies and distributed energy solutions.